Organophosphate Poisoning In Cats

Organophosphate Poisoning In Cats

Organophosphates are compounds that are commonly found in insecticides that are applied in lawns and gardens or in flea and tick products. Poisoning occurs when there is overexposure to insecticides that contain organophosphates. More often than not, overexposure occurs when the product is misused, or the person or animal is exposed to multiple organophosphate-containing products at the same time. Although these products claim to be organic, they still pose some important risks and their use should be based on the directions that are printed on the product label.

Organophosphates have a negative impact on the function of the nerves and muscles. These compounds can be absorbed via the gastrointestinal tract after ingestion, through the skin, or lungs. The symptoms that can be exhibited by your cat will depend on the quantity of insecticide your pet has been exposed to. Some of the most common symptoms include:

• Drooling

• Vomiting

• Difficulty breathing

• Diarrhea

• Trembling

• Abnormal urination

• Muscle weakness

• Pupils are constricted

Extreme cases of organophosphate poisoning can cause seizures or even death. If you think your pet cat has been exposed to organophosphate-containing insecticides, contact your local animal hospital Cherry Hill NJ immediately.

Post a comment

Private comment

Search form
Display RSS link.
Link
Friend request form

Want to be friends with this user.

QR code
QR